Overcoming obstacles is just a part of life since most of us have some sort of hurdles to overcome each day. How we deal with obstacles and adversity defines our lives.
Some obstacles are more serious than others. You might crave potato chips, only to realize that the bag is empty. This is a minor obstacle and the solution is obvious. Bigger obstacles require an effective approach and a high level of perseverance.
I put together 10 tips and strategies that you can use to overcome any obstacle or adversity:
- Take responsibility. Blaming circumstances or others for your roadblock ends up dis-empowering you. If you believe the cause for the failure is outside yourself, there’s nothing you can do to rectify the situation. When you take responsibility for the current circumstances, you maintain your power to change them for the better.
- Control your negative thoughts. Negative thoughts limit you and block you from seeing what’s possible. It’s very easy to go down a dark mental path where there are no answers to be found. When you ask yourself “why” questions like “Why do I always fail?” no useful information is provided from the asking. Those types of ‘why don’t I’ or ‘why do it’ questions only reinforce the obstacle you are facing and you will only succeed in making yourself stressed, miserable, and less effective.
- Focus on solutions. Instead of beating yourself up, seek a solution. Unsuccessful people focus on problems rather than solutions, and science is teaching us that through the Law Of Attraction, whatever we focus on actually EXPANDS. Start thinking like a successful person and look at possible solutions. Success requires that you sharpen your ability to find the answer to a situation and I learned that there is typically 3 ways to do anything – so find another way. Keep your negative thoughts to a minimum and redirect your attention to finding a simple, elegant solution.
- It’s easier to find something if you’re looking for it. Focusing on problems only makes them appear more challenging – put the LOA to use for you by focusing and intending to find a solution and in no time…. you WILL!
- View adversity as a test. Imagine that the universe is testing your commitment and cleverness because it sometimes does. Can you stay positive, find a solution, and make it work? Adversity is a challenge of your skills.
- Get excited and face the challenge head on. You can do it.
- Exercise. Adversity brings stress, and few activities deal with stress better than exercise. Hitting the weights or running for few miles can relieve your stress and provide a new perspective so get your sweat on and see how your mind opens up to more possibilities.
- The type of exercise doesn’t matter, as long as it lasts at least 30 minutes and you’re breathing heavily by the end.
- Relax. There are few advantageous to being anxious. Prolonged anxiety will eventually lead to illness. The best solutions are likely to present themselves when you’re calm and relaxed.
- Focus on what you can control. What’s the point in worrying about things that are out of your control? Keep your attention on the things you can Ask yourself what you can change and then get busy changing it.
- Take care of yourself. Eat well, exercise, and get enough sleep. Eating poorly, lying around all day, and staying up all night only make you even less capable. It’s important for you to be at your best, regardless of the setback. Always do the things that make you feel good about yourself; maintain your grooming and keep up wit your social life.
- The world is still turning. Be a part of it.
- Revisit your goals. Remind yourself of what you’re trying to achieve. Visualize the endpoint and remember how great you’re going to feel when it happens. If you’re bogged down in the present, remind yourself of your ideal endpoint.
- Keep going. Have the courage to continue pressing forward. Winning is only impossible if you quit. You can always find a solution. The key is to keep moving forward.
Life will always throw in roadblocks at inopportune times. The choice is either to wither away in misery or to use adversity as the challenge to take your life to the next level. Adversity is a test of your perseverance and problem-solving abilities.
Challenges in life are universal. No one is immune. Dealing with adversity skillfully separates those that are successful from those that are not. Make your choice wisely.
To you empowered life!!
P.S. Do you need support in working through some roadblocks in your life? I’m here to support you in any way you need me. Reach out for the support you need – it is the smartest thing you can do. Sometimes you just need a different perspective; I’m here for you.